The Ashanti Regional Minister, Hon Simon Osei Mensah has said that the government is determined to prosecute galamsey miners who destroy lands and water bodies across the country.
According to him, the government has discharged duties to Regional Ministers in terms of security aspects to battle galamsey in the various communities.
“I’m in support with the 200 soldiers deployed by the government to fight galamsey and protect lands and water bodies in the country,’’ Hon Simon Osei Mensah told Abena Pokua Ahwenee on Dadi FM’s “Efa wo ho” morning show.
Hon. Simon Osei Mensah stated that the 200 military officers started operation before the Information Minister, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah released the statement.
Meanwhile, the President, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has directed the military to remove all persons and logistics involved in mining from all water bodies across the country effectively.
A statement issued and signed by Information Minister, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah indicated that 200 military officers have so far been dispatched for the exercise.
The directive came two weeks after National Stakeholder Dialogue on Small Scale Mining in Accra to find a solution to the illegal mining menace.
The Ministry of Defense and the Ghana Armed Forces are expected to provide a detailed brief on developments and sustainability efforts on Friday.